Beat the Winter Blues!
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a condition in which those affected experience depressive symptoms during specific periods of the year especially the winter months. This shows as low mood, weight gain due to over eating and sleeping more than usual to mention a few. Ayurvedically, Kapha dosha is predominant in the winter season increasing the earth and water elements. To manage or prevent symptoms:
1.Get as much light as you can. Days are short so try to rise before the sun so you can absorb as much of its light throughout the day.
2. Exercise, even if it is a quick walk around the block
3. Eat light and as whole as possible like seasonal fruits and vegetables
4. Supplement yourself with Vitamin D if recommended by a doctor
5. Cinnamon, rosemary and oregano are good to add to your meals
6. Meditate – daily practise of meditation helps keep the mind calm and clear.
7. Mind strengthening herbs like tulsi, Brahmi, gotu kola can be taken but under the guidance of an Ayurveda practitioner
Author: Sadhvi Bhavya, Ayurveda Practitioner, Registered Naturotherapy Practitioner- Ayurveda, Yoga and Meditation Ambassador
Photo thanks to pexels.com